Saturday, 7 July 2012

Hits and misses

It's been over a week since I've posted, partly because I was away for a few days, partly because I had a few mishaps in the kitchen that made me question whether I could cook at all! I made a cake that my sister used to make years ago and remember as being absolutely gorgeous - a combination of coffee, coconut and almond. Just as it was nearing the end of its time in the oven I got a phonecall and by the time I had hung up what was supposed to be a nice moist cake was a parched loaf, smelling good but far too dry.

I had a day off the following day and set about marinading pork ribs in redcurrant jelly, honey, soy sauce, chilli, ginger and garlic. These fell victim to my lack of rib experience as i cooked them on a baking tray which seems to have overheated, charring the marinade too much. They were still delicious but just not photo fit!

Anyway, something I am doing well these days is growing. My lettuce and rocket have been producing enough for a daily salad and my herbs are all thriving. I have two broccoli plants that are doing fine and a tomato plant that is showing promise (no produce from either yet, but no sign that they're going to disappoint!) This picture, taken from my kitchen table while I pondered whether I had lost it in the food department, made me smile. Like the tomato plant, I might not be producing the best yet, but I do show some promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment