Friday, 3 August 2012
The perfect pizza
When I see the word pizza I'm instantly hungry. It's the light crispy authentic pizza that springs to my mind, not one the spongy oily numbers that are being churned out by many a fast food outlet. Pizzas have got bad press over the past few years, being blamed as one of the reasons for the increase in obesity, and there was outrage when, in November '11, the American Congress ruled that pizza was a vegetable because it was covered in tomato sauce. I wouldn't go near a fast food pizza or any of the frozen varieties but I do believe that when a pizza is made with quality ingredients it is a healthy dinner option, is easy to make and is absolutely delicious!
I use a basic white yeast bread dough for my pizza bases. This recipe makes enough for 4 large, 8 small pizzas, or, as I did last night, 2 large pizzas and a small loaf of white bread!
Ingredients:
500g strong white flour
1 sachet of fast action dried yeast
1 1/2 tsp salt
350ml lukewarm water
Method:
In a large bowl mix the dry ingredients together. Next add most of the water, mixing together with a wooden spoon until it has come together as a dough and the bowl is clean. If the dough is too dry add the remainder of the water, if it is too wet add a little more flour.
Generously flour your work surface and turn the dough onto it. Knead the dough for 10minutes until it is soft, springy and clean. Place the dough back in the bowl, cover with cling film and place somewhere warm. Leave for 1-2hours until doubled in size.
Once risen, tip the dough back onto a floured surface and lightly knead again. Now it is ready to use as pizza dough. Last night I cut off half of the dough, shaped it into a round loaf, placed it onto a floured baking tray and allowed to rise again (about 30minutes) before baking.
For pizza bases, roll out a quarter of the dough on a floured surface until really thin. This should be about the size of a large baking tray. Preheat the oven to 250°C. Oil a baking tray with olive oil and drape the base over it. Turn on a large ring on the hob and rotate the tray over the hot hob so that the base is cooking from the bottom. While the base is over the heat spread a thin layer of tomato puree over the base and add whatever topping you are using. I used one ball of Toonsbridge mozzarella per pizza, a few slices of Gubbeen Salami, artichokes and olives.
*Be careful that you remember to keep the base moving on the hob when adding the toppings so as not to burn the underside!*
Place in the preheated oven for about 8minutes until turning golden around the edges.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment