Monday, 11 June 2012

Culinary Camping




I've just come back from, what now seems to be a yearly, holiday camping trip to Donegal. Outdoors eating has always been tastier in my mind with barbecues being the ultimate outdoor cooking companion. While marinades and sauces are often necessary for indoor cooking the smokey char from a barbecue can be enough to elevate whatever ingredient touches its rack. 

Camping can be a rough and ready affair but one just needs a bit of forward planning and organisation to make it a real treat. I have a plastic picnic set that I bought in a charity shop and have been adding to it from car boot sale finds. I also have the essential cooler box which managed to stay cold enough for us for the whole trip, having put two freezer packs in before leaving. Here are my camping food related essentials (all other camping departments are the responsibility of my more able camping companion!):





Buying our meat, fish, bread and vegetables as we went along we managed to make some really gorgeous dinners. Corn on the cob, asparagus and courgettes were regulars on the grill. I had grilled fennel in a restaurant in Donegal and will definitely be trying that on our next barbecue. Remember to lightly oil and season whatever is it you're grilling. Tupperware boxes are necessary to keep moisture away from the food in the cooler box. Bon barbecuing! 




No comments:

Post a Comment