Wednesday, 13 June 2012

Quesadillas

I'm not a huge believer in the TV dinner. Growing up we never brought our food into the TV room but sat around the table, as a family, enjoying what our mother had cooked. Discussions arise over a shared meal and there's time to thrash things out and share opinions. Also, when you've put effort into preparing a meal the least you want is for it to be consumed at leisure, without being hoovered up over Corrie. OK, rant over!

Last night I had a TV dinner. With "The Euros" on at the moment one has to make a few sacrifices for the sporting enthusiast in one's life. To be honest, when I put my mind to it, I can get as riled up as the next over whatever sport is in front of me. Similarly, with the prospect of a repast in front of the box, I decided I'd approach the meal with gusto! With kick off approaching it would have to be quick and easy. I made these quesadillas with homemade guacamole...result!

Ingredients:
For the Quesadillas:
6 good quality flour tortillas (I used Amaizin's Organic variety)
2 generous handfuls of grated cheddar
2 handfuls finely chopped coriander
1 red pepper, finely chopped
1-2 chillies, finely chopped
salt and pepper

For the Guacamole:
2 avocados
1 handful of finely chopped coriander
1/2 -1 green chilli, finely chopped
squeeze of lime juice
salt and pepper

Method:
To make the guacamole simply mash all of the ingredients together in a bowl with the back of a fork. If you like your guacamole to be smoother do this in a food processor or half in the food processor, half with a fork and combine. I like mine with a bit of texture. Taste and adjust the seasoning, adding a little more lime juice or chilli if necessary.

For the quesadillas, mix all the filling ingredients together in a bowl and taste, then adjust the seasoning. In a dry frying pan, over a medium heat, place one tortilla on the bottom, then a layer of filling, then another tortilla. When the tortilla turns golden brown turn onto a plate and slip back into the frying pan to toast the other side. The quesadillas will have a crispy outside and a melted cheesy interior.

No comments:

Post a Comment