Friday, 22 June 2012

I ♥ Affogatos!


I LOVE this bad boy!
One of my favourite deserts has to be the affogato - one hot espresso poured over a scoop of cold ice-cream. The result: a vanillay/coffeey/beveragey desert. I am unbelievably lucky to have friends who bought me a coffee machine, the real deal, when I opened my shop a few years ago. It didn't last long in the shop but came home with me to lend a hand with the affogatos and my other coffee needs. You can use an espresso pot just as well though.

I use Baldwin's ice-cream, made in Knockanore, Co.Waterford, which I can buy in my local shop. Vanilla is the classic but a shot of coffee over their chocolate ice-cream is delicious too!
I have made some lovely almond and orange biscotti to go with my affogato before (I'll post the recipe when I make them next) but last night I made these simple little heart shaped shortbread biscuits.

Shortbread
These are easy to remember with the flour, butter, sugar quantities of 3, 2, 1!
Ingredients:
3oz flour
2oz butter
1oz caster sugar

Method:
Mix the flour and sugar in a bowl and rub in the butter. Gather the dough together and knead lightly. Between two sheets of cling film, roll out to 1/4 inch thick. Cut into whatever shape you want and bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 10-15minutes until pale brown. Allow to cool on a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment