Wednesday, 23 May 2012

Spinach, Pea and Mint Soup

Yesterday I went to the dentist accompanied by an unwelcome wisdom tooth. I thought I'd be leaving without him but instead was given a strong painkiller and advised not to eat solids for a few days. So, having peas left over from the pea purée I made the night before and plenty mint in my back yard I made this soup. One day later the tooth is still here, making his presence felt, but the soup is not.

Serves 6
Ingredients:
A knob of butter
1 medium sized onion, chopped
3 medium sized potatoes, peeled and diced
600ml chicken or vegetable stock (I used Kallo organic free range chicken stock, but making your own would be even superior)
2 fistfuls of frozen peas
1 fistful fresh spinach, washed
2 tsp fresh mint finely chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Method:
Melt the butter in a deep saucepan until it foams. Add the onions and potatoes, season with salt and pepper and stir to coat everything in the fat. turn down the heat, cover and leave to sweat, stirring occasionally, for ten minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Add the stock and bring to the boil. add the peas and spinach and simmer until the spinach has cooked (2-3 minutes). Remove from the heat, add the chopped mint and blitz with a hand blender or in a food processor. Finish with a drizzle of cream or olive oil and a few leaves of fresh mint.

No comments:

Post a Comment